When and Why to Hire a Divorce Lawyer
• It makes sense to hire a lawyer when there is a problem with any kind of abuse (spousal, child, sexual, or substance). A lawyer can help you to protect yourself and your children.
• If makes sense to hire a lawyer if you are experiencing domestic violence or fear violence.
• If you fear that your spouse might harm you or your children, immediately move to a safe place, and seek an attorney to get a temporary restraining order to keep the spouse away.
• If you want a restraining order for yourself, it is just as important that you have your attorney get a temporary order for custody of your children. That will stop any accusations of kidnapping.
• If you fear that your spouse might take off with your money, assets, or personal property you need to consult with an attorney right away.
• It makes sense to hire a lawyer when your spouse is being vindictive or dishonest. You might need someone to help protect your interests.
• It is virtually mandatory to hire a lawyer if your spouse has a lawyer. Especially true if you have children or have complicated financial issues.